Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Hope of a New Year

Dear 2008,

Goodbye to you. You have been a challenging yet good year. You have shaken my circumstances and tested my faith.
You have held the stressful busyness of selling a home, moving and construction that disguised the blessing of simplifying and living with less. You have taken a marriage that had become lukewarm to the heights of a love reborn. Inserted communication into the heart of our family.
You have made me question my parenting skills yet confirmed that not everything I have done is wrong. I have great kids.
You took my dear father in law, a centerpiece of our family, but given me new eyes to see my mother in law. Always knowing that she was incredible, I realize now how I want to love my husband. As I enter 2009, the loss of him is becoming more final. When I look forward to family gatherings, the anticipation of his absence is weighing down my heart.
You have made me question "spirituality" yet shown me that God created me as a unique being and no other person can fulfil what He designed for me to achieve. Understanding only He will determine my successes and failures. I pray for continued confidence to exercise my freedom in Him to serve as He plans.
You have taught me healthy debate does not equal confrontation. Hearing and being heard breeds peace.
You have delivered depressing buzz words into everyday conversation: "Bailouts" and "economics" have been troubling. Even temporarily touching home but generosity and kindness were unveiled.
You gave us Presidential elections that were fascinating, intriguing and historical.
You have been joyous and sad, struggled and victorious, here and now gone. As you leave, new promises of hope swell. I will release the hurt you brought in and carry the treasure you gave, out.........to 2009 and beyond.

Sincerely,
Betty

No comments: