Sunday, January 4, 2009

LAUGHTER is the best medicine.

If you read my blog you will have seen that we have been plagued with the flu throughout the holiday season. Well tonight, by no planning on mine or Jerry's part, all three of the boys had invitations to spend the night elsewhere.(Thanks Kim and Grandma!!) We had some gift cards from Christmas and we decided to put them to use. Dinner was nice. We talked about a book I'm reading, forgiveness, hunting...everything BUT the cute things the kids said or did(our new date night rule). Not that we don't love those little buggers but we have realized that the kids, all their activities and our desire to always listen to them consumes, well, mostly, all of the conversation held in our home. So when we have alone time it is time to talk about us!! If you have little bundles of joy of your own, you know what a task that can be.
We rented a movie (Reservation Road,an excruciating tale about the loss of a child, which made the task even harder to achieve, but worth watching) and cuddled on the couch with a bottle of wine. Then the silly bug bit me. One glass and I'm giggling. We were playful, like our courting days, and laughter rolled from the pit of our stomachs to the twinkle of our eyes. I haven't seen such adoring joy in my husband's eyes for what seems like forever. Running a family seems so serious sometimes. There is work, kids with schedules......blah blah blah. It was definitely time for some hahahaha!! Corny, I know but it was so freeing and decompressing. I love my husband so much and it was so precious seeing happiness in his eyes and I'm sure he enjoyed that view over my usual glare. The memory of sickness and consequent cancelled plans had escaped us.
Thanks for a great night Honey...stay my baby!!

3 comments:

Heather of the EO said...

I just love this post. Many times I feel like my husband and I are just roommates with the same job :) I'm so glad you got to do this! What a fun night.

Betty said...

I hear ya Heather!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that I could help. When mine are alittle easier I may ask for a return favor, lol. We have the same rules on "date night"...no talk about kids, bills, or work. Sometimes we are at a loss for words, lol. Doesn't it feel good to relax and grasp that feeling of when you first fell in love? I do wonder why after the dinner, wine and movie you were on your blog writing this, though? hehehehe.