Friday, January 2, 2009

The Best Gift We Bought

A pottery wheel. My husband is an outdoors man. He has passed that passion onto my three boys. I'm glad they can shoot dinner, if that is ever necessary and understand eco-systems and conservation. However, in my boy-filled world I have an increasing desire and passion of my own to expose them to culture and creativity. I have a creative brain and my husband's brain is practical. Our boys do possess both qualities so I want to feed my inheritance in them. We stuck to board games, play guns and art activities for Christmas gifts this year and my fave is the pottery wheel. Today my oldest decided he wanted to create his first masterpiece, I was overjoyed. Not only was he learning and developing an art, I was able to teach him. Kneading, forming and shaping.


I am not an artist in the sculpting, painting sense, but today I felt like I was. I was getting my hands dirty, guiding his little hands on the silhouette of the formless clay. I didn't go into long explanation of our Father as the Potter and we, the clay, because I didn't have to. I walked away from the finished product with the profound realization that I only pictured it to him. One day he will read and learn of the Potter and have a visual of what it means for the Creator to soften, mold and perfect our image into a unique, interesting work of art. And as a bonus, he'll think of me.

No comments: