Monday, January 10, 2011

Visually Arresting

I have been without a computer for a few days so all of my "wasting time on facebook" has become "wasting time watching television". I repeatedly saw a commercial for the movie "Tron". One of the reviews for the flick called it "Visually Arresting!". The words jumped off the screen, into my head. I'm not sure why except I'd never heard this grouping of words before. Visually Arresting. Sitting in my mind, just like that.
Winter in the Midwest is gray,white, slippery, cold, bitter...depressing. We spend most of our time "cooped up" and the "fun" activity of sled riding only leaves me with a headache. The wet boots, ten layers of clothing, hats and gloves thrown about and spilled hot chocolate is not my idea of a good time. I do an exceptional job at pretending that it is enjoyable, it's my mommy duty. The snow is pretty, for about the first five minutes it falls.
I told Jerry today that one thing I love about a new year is that spring is just around the corner. Resurrection, of beauty. Then I stopped myself from being an entirely irritating grouch and remembered that there is beauty all around me. God says so. I just have to find it. One beauty I found? The boys playing chess. Weird, I know. Jerry only taught them yesterday, in about fifteen minutes. I was captivated by their bright minds, part of their beauty. I was reminded they are sponges waiting for water, just as I wait for spring. As for any thing else? I'll keep looking. This may turn into a "part one" post. As soon as I'm "arrested".

No comments: