Monday, January 17, 2011

Visually Arresting Part Deux

Since my previous "Visually Arresting" post my mood has changed dramatically. I have chosen to see the beauty all around me, naturally and created.
We recently had a snow day. My friend Tessa, her four girls, myself, and my three boys spent our day just "being". We did brave the hills for a little sled riding, then enjoyed hot chocolate and each other...all curled up on the couches, together. The day was frigid and gray. Our cheeks were rosy and lips smile-filled. The kids interacted like family. The girls giggled when Sammy mentioned his "nads", the boys were silenced at times by the clever wit of these adorable girls. I love when girls have a way of tripping up little know-it-all boys. Their uninhibited conversations...visually(and audibly)arresting.
Jerry and I spent some time over the weekend with some of our dearest friends. We always have the best time with this incredible group of comrades. Being in the presence of them always guarantees cheeks and stomachs sore from laughter. Feeling myself laugh out loud and seeing their faces sharing my enjoyment....visually arresting.
The boys had a wrestling match yesterday. Tanner saw one of our youngest teammates crying and quickly made his way to his side to assist in easing his stress. He looked like such a "big kid". Dosing out kindness on his own without provocation. For Tanner it was tournament day. He and only one other wrestler showed up out of the four that should have attended in his weight class. He had to wrestle the other boy two out of three matches to determine the victor. Tanner had wrestled this boy earlier in the season and knew he could easily overturn this opponent. After match one, Coach Daddy instructed Tanner not to "pin" the other young wrestler. "Think of this as good practice and let "Jake" feel like he has a chance"..."No Daddy, I just want to pin him and get it over with"...."Ok, you wrestle how you think you should." Tanner walked on to the mat and allowed the match to last the entire two periods, without a pin. He walked off the mat with integrity and parents gushing with pride. "Jake's" mom even pulled Tanner aside and thanked him for allowing Jake to not feel completely defeated. She stated "Your a very good boy."
His character shone above competition, a gold medal or physical strength...visually arresting.
And! My friend Lori and her kids showed up to watch the boys wrestle. Didn't call, wasn't expecting them. They just showed up. Her son made his way to me and I was so melted when he said "Will you tell the boys I said good luck, I haven't seen them yet!" Just showed up. I love that.
A random act of painting brightened my world today. I painted my dining table, red. For no apparent reason, not because it coordinates with my decor, only because I love color and red is a color. A warm color. A visually arresting color.
Winter in the midwest is still quite dreary...however my family and friends have reminded me that I can be arrested any time I want to be, if only I look.

No comments: