Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Little One on One


Report cards were handed out yesterday. As usual, Tanner, our dreamer of the bunch, maintained his "B" average. Also, as usual, he had three check marks indicating areas in need of improvement: 'Listening and Following Directions', 'Demonstrating Organizational Skills' and 'Using Time Wisely'. No surprise there.

Tanner is the most loving, tender-hearted, fun soul. He is also the child with the shortest attention span, the most entertaining stories and a plethora of useless facts he interjects at the most random of times. After using the "take away what they love method" and lecturing since the second grade, I was eagerly awaiting this time of discussion.

We decided since Dad, Owen and Sam were at wrestling practice, Tanner and I would take a drive and visit Granny and Pop. We had about 25 minutes driving each way, more than enough time for communicating with a boy. I was able to acknowledge again his complete disgust of school. He is so bright, yet school is not his fave. I was able to explain to him that his Father expects him to do all things as if "for the Lord"...with order and his whole heart. This made sense to him. For his young years, he is very spiritually intuitive. Whenever I can give him instruction supported by The Word, I see the lights come on through his eyes.

But let's not forget he is of the male species. Although I am thoroughly blessed by our conversations, I could help but laugh as he would stop me mid-sentence and shout "Deer!", "Did you see that cat hit on the side of the road?". I just love him.

Our time together also gave me time to make my case for guitar lessons. His dream-filled, artistic tendencies need an outlet. I THINK I have made some progress in leading him to his natural inclinations. I THINK he is grasping the importance of some order. I THINK he understands the necessity of education in chasing dreams.

I KNOW we had a good time. I KNOW he will be something great, he already is.

No winner or loser in this game. A tie-and that's a victory.

No comments: