Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Momma Clause(Claws)


Momma bears have an instinctive desire to protect their cubs. This momma bear is feeling very instinctive. Kids can be so cruel. My oldest son Tanner is what the world would say is on the "chubby side". Although we encourage play and healthy eating, genetics and asthma meds contribute to his extra weight.

He's a little slower when he runs and a target of fore mentioned cruelty. We make it part of our purpose to assure him that he is "fearfully and wonderfully made" and that God made him with a heart like no one else's. He is unique and accepted, by us and a perfect, loving Creator.

He's playing baseball again this year and with every season comes new teammates. One in particular has caused this momma's claws to be exposed. I never want to be a mom who fights her cubs battles but there is clause in this rule that makes an exception. Every day at school he has to stand on his own and learn how to let things roll of his back and remember to embrace who he is. But when I am with him I have a right and a responsibility to protect him: The Momma Clause. As I sat watching him practice, I could see "George" teasing Tanner and once even heard him call Tanner stupid when he fielded the ball and became flustered and did not know what to do with the ball once it landed in his mitt. Then the climax..."Your a Fatty!" said "George". I thought I would supernaturally fly over the fence and pounce this fierce predator...but I didn't. I could see the pain in my son's face and the Momma Clause went into effect. However, seeing as I despise conflict, I told my husband, aka Pappa Bear. The leader of our den doesn't share my fear of confrontation. Hopefully now, the rules of the wilderness will be tamed.....before the Momma Clause is initiated fully and the Momma Claws are unleashed.

1 comment:

Heather of the EO said...

I'm so sorry! That poor guy. Kids just really are SO mean!

My claws would be out too. I LOVE the clause/claws thing, hilarious.

I hope it gets better ):