Monday, April 13, 2009

I knew this story before it was on Oprah


Dana was on Oprah and I MISSED IT! I just finished and returned today, one of the most moving, real and intimate stories I have ever read. A Journal for Jordan. This journal is written by a father to his son before and after his birth. His mother Dana Canedy wrote the book, including her own entries for their son, Jordan. She is a Pulitzer Prize-Winning Writer and as of today a guest on Oprah. The intensity, intimacy and fullness of the love she had for her husband and he for her, are undeniable. I regret that I never wrote that story for our boys. How their father and I met. How I fell in love with him through lengthy letters and phone calls while he was in the military and how a weekend visit proposal set in motion the story of our lives as a family.
Charles, Jordan's father: "Remember who taught you to speak, to walk and to be a gentleman, he wrote to Jordan in his journal. These are your first teachers, my little prince. Protect them, embrace them and always treat them like a queen. "
"Be humble about your accomplishments, work harder than the man next to you, it is all right for boys to cry. Sometimes crying can release a lot of pain and stress. Never be ashamed to cry. It has nothing to do with your manhood."(exerpts from the book)
Can you imagine how our society would differ if all fathers imparted this type of wisdom to their sons? If all wives reveered their husbands this way: "Sometimes you get lucky and catch a rainbow."
I don't want to spoil the book for you I WANT YOU TO READ IT! How would your level of interest change if I told you Charles died a military hero in Iraq and only met and spent 2 weeks with his son while home on leave..from the war....and never came home again.(This isn't a spoiler, you probably learned this on Oprah) Take a peek. Realize how fortunate you are to have a partner walking beside you in this journey of parenthood. How blessed you are to feel his touch.

No comments: