Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Betty had a little lamb



This has been an almost very sad and very sad week so far in this house. First of all it's spring break in Ohio, interpreted to out of staters, an invitation for snow and rain. Trailing behind this wave of weather oxymoron, a family member of the feline species met the rubber of our neighbors vehicle. She survived, thankfully. Imagine how quickly the words I said just 2 weeks ago "I don't care if she runs outside again, maybe she'll get hit by a car!" came back to me. I saw the fear in my children's faces as we searched for her because she was hiding after her little scare and thought "now i really am a bad mom!". I, only half, jokingly wished my cat would be hit by a car w/o any regard of how much sadness that would bring to my children. Somehow over the past 3 years we have accumulated 2 beagles and a labrador retriever(kept outside), a sheep(also outside, ha!) a cat and most recently a puppy who is STILL not house broken! I would never mistreat an animal but I am not an animal lover. Yet somehow our family had six pets. Now I will admit, the ONE I did want was the sheep. I've always wanted one. I love the precious curls of their wool between my fingers. My dad started raising them about 2 years ago. When a mother has more than 1 lamb she may not feed them, as the case of "Sneakers". Named for his white hooves. To me, that meant "Sneakers" had to come home with us. The boys and I loved him! We fed him from a bottle and walked him on a leash. He was such a sweetie. Yesterday for no apparent reason he stopped eating. By this evening he wouldn't stand. Hours later, he died....
My 2 oldest boys are spending the night at Grandma's, so they are unaware. My youngest knows but he doesn't understand the finality of death yet. His innocence is bliss. A simple hug and final pat on the head would suffice for him. Tomorrow, however, we will have to bring the boys home from a fun overnight-er and hit them in the face with the sorrow of laying their dear pet to rest. A lamb. Do any of you find this overwhelmingly ironic that our lamb has died the week of Easter? As I sat beside this lamb watching him what seemed like a slow death, I felt such sadness and pain. It hit me that this animal, although dear to us, is a mere beast. Can you imagine how the Father must have felt watching his spotless Lamb die for our sins? When we brought "Sneakers" home, I was enthusiastic at the opportunity he gave me to teach my sons more about the Lamb, I just didn't think it would end this way, at this time. I am dreading the breaking of my sons hearts. I will cherish the honor of catching their tears. I won't have the perfect words. I will be thankful for the Lamb who died for me and loves me anyway.

1 comment:

TESSA said...

Betty, I am so sorry about your lamb. It is just so crazy. How are the boys doing with it?