Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My baby's growing up


My firstborn is 9 today. Sad, exciting, unbelievable. He is so proud of himself and so am I but where did my baby go? I remember every detail of his birth, his first smile, first word, first step, his huge imagination budding as a toddler............everything. I remember his excitement when each of his brothers came home from the hospital and how he clung to my side most of the day.

When you have 3 boys ages 3 and younger, people tell you "they grow up fast". So many days I wished that were true and thought I would never survive those baby/toddler years. Now I find myself wanting to press rewind or even pause to slow all this growing down. Don't get me wrong there is some freedom that comes with your kids maturing and I enjoy that but everyday I see him learning, discovering and growing into the man he will one day be. He still needs me but I long for the days of rocking him to sleep and carrying him on my hip.

Enough of the "Mommy sadness" though. He is a great kid and I don't want to focus on how I feel but celebrate who he is.

He is a creative, bright boy who makes me laugh when I need it most. He does well in school, but hates it. He loves hunting with his Daddy....(he still calls us Mommy and Daddy, not just mom and dad, I love that!). He is an outstanding big brother when he wants to be and he is so sensitive and caring of babies. He has a bond with his Pappy that will remain long after he is gone. He runs to hug his grandparents, aunts and uncles when they visit or spectate one of his many extra-curriculars. He still has an incredible, inspiring imagination. He is one of the loves of my life and I am so thankful every morning when he refuses to leave before he gives me a kiss.


Tanner, I love you buddy. I am so proud of you. Happy Birthday honey.

1 comment:

Jessica Stock said...

Yes, he is all of those things. What a sweetie! You have some great guys there, Mom!