Monday, October 20, 2008

Inspire Me!

"We're meant to be like multi-colored Christmas lights attached to one electrical cord called the Holy Spirit and strung strategically all over the earth..............Admit it. Aren't you just a tad bored by your neatly compartmentalized, comfort-fit Christianity?"~Beth Moore

I took my boys to pajama story time tonight and I picked up the book Voices of the Faithful, (Inspiring Stories of Courage from Christians serving around the World) by Beth Moore.
I've always liked Beth Moore for her frank, common sense approach to the Word. I saw this book as soon as we entered the library and by the time I reached page 6 of the introduction I saw this quote. I am already inspired. Our local church is going through a "transition", to say the least. I am cautiously optimistic as we are in the interviewing process of a new lead pastor.
He seems to not want to lock himself into our church's "business as usual" "keep everything the same" philosophy and I couldn't be more pleased!!
I love our church. We have been blessed with sound doctrine and taught the Word forward and backwards. But for the past couple of years I would sit in the worship center, same spot every Sunday, and think to myself " how many more times can we be taught this before we go out and do something with it?" "Can you kill a horse after it's been beat to death?" I know this may sound cynical and it's not meant to be but I was becoming restless. I had all this knowledge stored in my brain and my heart was exploding, wanting to be encouraged to pour it out, not just on my own but corporately. Strength in numbers right? And then the past year? Nothing. We act as if the world has stopped because there are some difficulties within our little world. This may seem like rambling but in my head it makes total sense. I hope the rest of this book is as good as the introduction.......I need to be inspired......by someone who has actually faced real persecution and brought glory to our Father. Some perspective.

1 comment:

Heather of the EO said...

You're making perfect sense. I was at a Sara Groves concert once where she talked about getting to know the guys from International Justice Mission. She said (and I totally paraphrase)an analogy of her faith being like her car. She was sitting in it and keeping it really clean and nice. She was wiping off the dashboard and adjusting the steering wheel and mirrors. Over and over and over, perfecting her own faith.
And then she looked up, and there were the guys from IJM "whipping donuts in the parking lot."

The IJM guys are seeking justice, moving and shaking, being Christ's love.
Most of us are just sitting in our "cars", doing our Bible studies and never moving.
LOVE that analogy. I think about it all the time.
Love this post,
Heather