Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sing

Wasn't sure I was going to be a fan of American Idol this year with all the changes. However, much to mine and Jerry's surprise, we love it!
They lowered the age of eligibility this year, which I'm not a fan of, but there is one young man who has captured my heart. JC. He is fifteen but looks much younger. He is a little on the short side and overweight with the voice of an angel. "Group Day" almost swallowed him up. He was in a group of five and one over confident, male diva just kicked him out! I was crying!! This Idol hopeful decided he didn't fit the mold of their group. I was disgusted by his arrogance and ashamed that the other group members didn't stick up for this young soul. JC was in tears, trying to be strong, unable to hold it together when explaining to his mother the reason for his exit. So at the last minute, he was wandering around looking for someone to take him in. He found a group so thankful to embrace his talent, I cried.
After his group's performance, he stood there, tears welling. I grabbed my heart and told Jerry "I can't take this! If he doesn't make it through and I was his mother I would be hunting down that original group leader!". I couldn't just stand by and see my son's heart broken and his confidence shaken to the core. Then I remembered I could. Logically, I know you can't fight every battle and fix every disappointment but it would be nice if I could..that's not where I'm going with this post.
This boy pulls at my heart strings because he reminds me of another little boy. My boy. Tanner. Tanner and JC share a similar stature. And like JC, Tanner sings like an angel. He doesn't show off his instrument very often. Last year, out of the blue and to every one's surprise he auditioned for a solo in his fourth grade spring concert. He didn't even tell me! His music teacher informed me via facebook how blown away she was by his voice. I secretly ached and worried "What if he doesn't get the part? I don't want him to stop singing...". Ultimately he did get the part. Although just a school concert, I cried. I was so proud of his bravery. I love to sing, am semi-talented but always too afraid to step out and take the chance he did.


Watching this boy with a large frame and even larger heart, stole mine. He made it through. Thank you JC for having the courage to chase dreams and allowing me to reminisce the night my own angel sang.








































No comments: