Friday, December 31, 2010

Contradictions

Today, I was loading the dishwasher as all my guys finished eating. The sink was completely emptied and Tanner walked over and attempted to hand me his plate. He stood there for about 15 seconds waiting for me to finish placing the previous dish in the washer, plate-in-hand extended. I just looked at him and said "Are you kidding me?" Instead of placing the plate himself, he was waiting for me to do it! Is that what I am teaching my boys? That even if you are able-bodied and standing right in front of the dishwasher you hand the plate to me to put it in for you? I hate that.
This evening, all my guys were at wrestling practice. As Jerry wrapped up his coaching responsibilities, Owen called to ask "Mom, what did you make for dinner?" As I told him, for a half a second, I almost responded to him as I did to Tanner. In the second half of that second, I realized I love it. I love that I am able to be available and flexible with meals, even during our crazy wrestling schedule. They KNOW that I will have something prepared for them and not have to make their own meals even though they are able, that home is a place for nourishment- of all kinds. I love that.
Contradiction.
I try to live my life with consistency. Treating people the way I want to be treated, owning my strong opinions with out being oppressive, making peace unless utterly impossible and teaching my boys these same things. You may find these admirable or ridiculous, and really, either is fine.
There is so much emphasis on consistency. Consistence in discipline, exercise, time in the Word, meal times, church attendance, bedtimes, date nights....AHHHHHH!!!!! TOO MUCH CONSISTENCY!!!
I am a forgiven, commanded to be holy. I mess that up everyday, consistently. Contradiction. That is what life is, why not embrace it a little more? Why not change our minds? Let the kids stay up ten minutes later just to cuddle? Being spontaneous with our spouses rather than "pencil in" a date night? Eat dinner at 8pm and just be thankful your sitting together? Skip the gym, sit and catch up with a friend? Not feeling guilty for missing a Sunday service to have real fellowship with your family? Not reading God's Word out of obligation but just stopping to talk our Father?
Contradiction doesn't have to have a negative context. Find your areas of "too much consistency" and contradict them. Go on, be brave. It's freeing.

No comments: