Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Redeeming Time


Christmas Morn they awoke at five

I grabbed my camera and watched the paper fly

Excitement flourished as they opened each gift

But not long after their spirits needed a lift.

Whining and pouting, impatience on high

Too tired to be grateful, frustrated my mind.

They began to reexamine their bountiful stash

Tears subsided and they were playing with dash

Arrows flying, pellets shot, guitars being rocked

Time for a nap, seven hours had been clocked.

Sleepy eyes arose with mid-afternoon smiles and joy

Thank you Mommy-n-Daddy as they rediscovered each "toy".

Festivities continued with our tradition of a movie

We laughed at the antics of Boo-Boo and Yogi.

The next day we jumped from bed to a melody sung off key

"Don't touch that it's mine, Give it back to me!"

Playing referee was wearing us thin

Drank a lot of coffee but really wanted gin.

The mess and decorations were taken hastily to the attic

I'd been pushed to my limit, "That's it, I've had it!

Then as God does, He gave me a new day

One filled with kisses, hugs and play.

They sled with Uncle Lewie, bringing stories of adventure

I enjoyed caffeine and a friend, relieving more pressure.

The Noel buzz had finally worn off, my kids were returning

Talking and sharing, moments for which I was yearning.

The memories of days past erased from my mind

I was cashing in, redeeming this time.


We truly had a REAL and memorable Christmas. We celebrate the birth of our Saviour. That is real. My kids behaved like kids. That is real.

In my obsession to create perfect memories for my children, I set myself up for feelings of hurt. I have this ideal vision of how moments will occur before they do. When I release the expectations and cry out for mercy, the moments happen on their own, my blessings are revealed....I am redeemed. That is real, perfection.






No comments: