Sunday, February 1, 2009

Love in its Purest Form-A Child


Today, at a wrestling tournament of all places, I saw the most genuine, sympathetic act of kindness. From a five year old. My son Sammy is a passionate little guy in victory and defeat. After winning one match, he lost the next two. It was the last match of the season. The big one. Immediately following his second loss, he realized there would be no medals in his near future. Devastation!! He ran to me, squeezing and crying "Now I'm not going to get a medal" My heart was breaking for him, he was so disappointed. His very best friend Austin was sitting next to us and just received his 4th place medal. He and Sammy have this kindred connection that I have never witnessed between two people so young. You could see the agony in his face, witnessing his friend's broken heart. He took his medal, the first he had ever won and handed it to Sammy, "Here Sammy, you can have mine." Sam's spirit immediately lifted and he hugged his dear friend and thanked him. Austin's mom and I sat there in utter disbelief. How selfless this little guy had been. Even at my urging for him to keep his very first medal, Sammy's happiness was more important than his own. What an incredible act of love. We ended up getting a replacement medal for Austin, not because he asked for one, because a heart like that deserves to be adorned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope they are always friends and so are we! Luv ya, Kim

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring story. One however, that does not surprise me.

I have been blessed to have witnessed many similar acts of compassion and kindness from Austin.

And extremely blessed to have him as my grandson.

(Papa with the rectangle head)