Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Hen Meeting

This morning was a continuance of a new tradition. About one month ago four friends and I with children of the same age began having Tuesday morning coffee talks. My husband would call it a "Hen Meeting" or this morning he referred to it as an episode of The View........but regardless of what you call it, it has been very encouraging to me. All of the ladies have a grounded relationship with Christ and we are striving together to raise our children on the same ground. This morning we talked a lot about having "the talk" continuously throughout our children's lives. It was so refreshing to hear the different perspectives that we are facing. Two of us have all boys, one has all girls and the other two have both. (Heather wasn't there today but we missed her!) I love hearing the concerns of a mom with girls and being able to integrate that into the conversations that Jerry and I have with our boys about sex. TESSA made a reference to a class she had participated in at her church which stated "Our parents never talked about sex or money, but they had both!" And that was so profound to me.....and so true!! Sex was never described as a beautiful, sacred event between a husband and wife.......it was only advised that I "don't do it." In our family we are going to break the cycle of secrecy and shame and communicate to our boys the joy, intimacy and boundaries of a sexual relationship. I pray faithfully that Jerry and I will equip our boys to make wise decisions when hormones are raging...and beyond.

2 comments:

Mozi Esme said...

Sounds like that group is quite a blessing. And what you had to say about teaching kids about sex really makes sense.

Anonymous said...

You are funny....you really didn't need to correct anything, but thanks. I so love our group and sharing. I love learning about boys too...since I don't have any or brothers. It is so awesome to learn through friends.