Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My favorite season



For me, this is the best time of year. I call it "football weather". It brings me back to a time when all my friday nites were spent with friends, hot chocolate and victories. Ahh, what a carefree time that was. Now football has a different context in my life, my "baby" is on the field. What a warrior he is and I am so proud of him but those little guys can really knock you for a loop! I'm not really a worrier, I just can't believe 7-10 year olds play tackle football. Besides who has time to worry when you have two other children, 5+7 running back and forth to the playground and constantly asking for money for concessions as you just as consistantly say "no, no.....no". Oh and did I mention the very competitive Daddy(God love him!)seated next to me? It's ok honey, their just kids, they DON'T take it that seriously. Yes, football is very different than those carefree days of old but I'm sure when I am 42 and fall approaches once again, and that "baby" is driving away to some prestigous university, I will replace those original carefree times in memory, for the one I am living right now. Somehow when life seems crazy I can step out in the middle of the day to the warm, comfortable sun or walk in the cool of the evening and find a tremendous comfort and peace. I think because this season passes so quickly, I try my best to take it slow. I think the sport of my middle son, cross country, sums up my approach to autumn: pace yourself but stay in the race.

No comments: