Tuesday, June 2, 2009

"Friends influence the direction and quality of life"

Today, I wanted to move. Move somewhere, where we are strangers, to start new relationships, be somewhat anonymous. Growing up and then residing in a small town is quaint, close knit, quiet.....but also intrusive, haunting. Haunted by relationships past, mistakes made, hurt applied. Like when your at your son's baseball game and you see that "Mean Girl" from High School, a beautiful rose as always, but still with thorns. You know logically and biblically you should pray for her, love her but it seems like a waste. Even though, my God wore thorns to remove hers just as he did mine, it's tough. And so the wheels of my mind turn continuously, oiled by the hurtful past between us and the promise that leaving would make things so much easier because the slates would be clean, both mine and the people I would meet............
Then I came home to find a voicemail on the cell phone I forgot. Reminding me, life is precious, fragile, genuine friendships hold value. The recorded voice of a friend. Our mutual friend has had some health concerns which, as of now, are increased concerns. As I prayed for my friend, I was soothed. My focus had switched. From self-centered pity to pleading, selfless love over the wounds of my friend. Then to the soul of a "mean girl" who if faced with the same concerns would have no praying friends. There's no time to change the past, only love the now.
Our pastor made a comment in the message this past Sunday.."Friends influence the direction and quality of life" based on Proverbs 12:26 The righteous choose their friends carefully....
2009 has brought me new and blossoming friendships with Godly women and as today reflects they certainly influence my direction and definitely improve the quality of my life.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Betty:

What a touching post! I am so glad that God has brought us all together. You guys are my strength, as is God, and you are all such an encouragement to me. I love you all!!! Thanks!

Jessica Stock said...

I love what you said here that Christ wore thorns to remove hers and mine . .. that is so good. That's going to stick with me when I keep being wounded by other peoples' thorns, and wounding others with mine!

Relationships are just hard, aren't they? I know how you feel, living in a small town . . . close knit, knowing everybody, it's the thing that keeps us here, and the thing that makes us want to leave sometimes too! I suppose Christ meant for us to keep "daring to love", however painful. What would we do were it not for Christ's example and unconditional love!